Although it is summer time in Britain right now, there are those days when I feel like eating a comforting hot meal. Today is one of those days. It was overcast, the sun did not come out to say hello and it stayed hidden behind dark clouds all day. It was one of those days you want to snuggle into the couch and stuff your face with comfort food.
This stew is quick and easy and you can use any vegetables you have in the fridge. This meal did not make the sun come out but it warmed me from the inside out.
1kg cod fish cut into chunky pieces
400g of chopped tomatoes
250ml chicken stock
1/4 cup white wine (optional)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 white onion finely diced
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 red peppers (also known as capsicum) chopped
1 large courgette (also known as zucchini) chopped
Handful of olives
Handful of flat leaf parsley chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper to season
1. Heat the oil in a large pot on medium heat, add onions and garlic and cook for 5 mins or until onions soften.
2. Pour in the white wine and bring to the boil.
3. Add the vegetables and cook for 5 mins.
4. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and olives.
5. Pour in the chicken stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to boil.
6. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 mins.
7. Gently add the cod by nestling the chunks into the stew and cook for another 10 mins.
8. Serve with fresh parsley, lemon juice and fresh crusty bread on the side.
Serves 4 people